Thursday, September 09, 2004

"Hero" with Jet Lee


A still from the scene that made me cry.
This picture doesn't do it justice.
Imagine that the red and yellow
are the brightest most vivid colors
that have ever existed, thats what I saw.

I saw "Hero" starring Jet Lee. It was incredible. It was emotionally one of the most demanding movies I think I have ever seen on the big screen. By the end, after all the imagery and scenery, women and men in love and elegant passonate fighting, and the colors, I was exhausted. I believe that I saw colors in that movie that I had never seen before in my life. It was so beautiful, I teared up. I am not sure how the fighting stacks up to other movies in that genere, and for that matter the moral content was somehow simplistic and thick, hard to follow, at the same time. Clearly the moral statement of the movie was that individual sacrifice is noble and necessary for the greater good of the world. However, the movie definitly takes the high road arriving at this conclusion, and the audience feels somewhat betrayed by the ending. Obviously, given the circumstances and morality that the film is based on, there is no other possible ending, but one of the films weaknesses is that it takes a while to accept the end, in other words, it should be a feeling of completion and satisfaction that the audience experiences when they discover the fate of the "hero" but rather it is quite sad, at least at first.
Anyway, after that long ass post, I will do my customary thing and read some other reviews now that I have written mine, and post them below.

"You can feel the movie's sensibility and its powerful emotions in every aching image, which leaves you so caught up in these ancient times, you're loath to return to present- day normalcy." -- Desson Thomson, WASHINGTON POST
"Led by director Zhang Yimou and dazzling cinematographer Christopher Doyle, the unseen Hero production team has made what just might be the most artistically sophisticated, most formally beautiful martial arts film the genre has seen." -- Kenneth Turan, LOS ANGELES TIMES
Read more here. An incredibly high 95% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, an 8.3 out of 10. This is the only link you need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home